(This children’s talk would be especially suitable during Advent)
1. To teach that there are different joys in life
2. To teach that the gift of Jesus brings a very special joy.
Focus Phrase/ Word:
1. This joy is different to that.
2. A very special joy
1. A collection of junk mail from the letter box
2. A K-Mart, Target, or BigW catalogue
3. A Tear Australia catalogue or similar exhibiting gifts to buy for needy people.
4. A picture of a landscape i.e. a forest, a beach, or a lake scene.
5. A picture showing a gathering of family and friends i.e. a photo album.
6. A picture of Jesus in the manger.
7. A carry bag for all the above items.
1. When the children are in place start as soon as possible, it helps to settle them and gain their attention.
“Good morning everyone today is the third Sunday in the season of Advent. In this season we get ready to celebrate the birthday of Jesus on Christmas Day. As part of getting ready for Christmas we all get a lot of junk mail in our letter box.”
(show the children all the junk mail from your bag)
2. Show the children the BigW catalogue with its various pages of toys and other Christmas ideas. You could tease them and say, “Would this new crockery or cutlery set give you joy at Christmas?”
“But I’m sure you would receive joy from a new toy or iphone for Christmas.”
3. “Some people in other countries do not have K-Mart, or Target, or a BigW store to shop at, in fact they are very poor and have very little at all.”
Show them the Tear Australia catalogue.
“In this catalogue you could buy someone things that would help them in their daily life. For example, you could buy them a goat for Christmas. That would give them a lot of joy. From the goat they would get milk to drink and also from the milk they could make cheese to eat. The goat would last them a long time, it would give them a lot of joy.
4. “The joy of getting a gift of a goat is different to the joy of getting a gift from BigW.”
5. Show them a picture for example of a forest.
“Here is picture of a beautiful forest. Some people get joy when they walk in a forest.”
6. Bring out the family photo album and show them a photo.
“Some people get a lot of joy simply being with family and friends at Christmas.”
7. Show the various pictures as you say the following
“The joy of being with family and friends is different to the joy of forest, different to the joy of BigW, and different to the joy of goat.
8. Show the picture of Jesus in the manger.
“At Christmas we celebrated the birthday of Jesus. We also celebrated Jesus in our life and the joy that he brings. When we have Jesus in our life, then we have a very special joy.”
9. “The joy of Jesus is different to the other joys that we can have. Jesus is a Christmas gift that can give us a very special joy. When we have Jesus in our life then we can have that very special joy every day. Jesus is a very special joy that you will want to share with others.
10. Finish with prayer.
“Let us finish with prayer.”
“Dear Jesus, thank you for Christmas, thank you for coming into our life and bringing us a very special joy. Help us also to bring joy into other people’s lives. Amen.”