Theme: God works in us
1. To teach the children that God comes inside us.
2. God comes inside us through the means
3. God cares and heals us from within.
Materials: Two containers
Sundry medicines (oral type)
Bible, Children’s Bible, Gospel story book,
A bottle of water
A communion cup or similar
Communion bread or similar
Red electrical tape or similar
For my own convenience I used two cloth shopping bags, two boxes would be suitable too. On these bags I made a red cross using red electrical tape. One bag had the usual medical red cross, while the other had the cross of Jesus on it. Then I filled the bag with the medical cross with various oral medicines. In fact, most of them were various vitamins. The other bag with the Jesus cross I put in the books, bottle of water and the communion items.
1. After the children are seated, walk in carrying the two bags.
2. “I’ve brought with me my two medicine bags.” “You can tell they are medicine bags because of the red cross on them.” “One red cross is slightly different to the other one, but they are both medicine bags.” “Sometimes I take medicine from this bag and at other times I take medicine from that bag. It all depends on what I need.” Don’t focus too much on the difference in the crosses, allow an element of surprise for the bag with the Jesus cross on it.
3. Briefly examine the contents of the bag with the medical cross on it.
4. Emphasise that these medicines work inside of us to make us better.
5. Now turn to the bag with the Jesus cross on it, and point out how this cross reminds us of Jesus. “This bag contains medicine from God.”
6. Examine the contents of the bag beginning with the Bible, followed by the Children’s Bible and then a Gospel story book.
7. Emphasise that when we listen to the stories about God and Jesus, then God comes inside us to care and make us better.
8. Show the bottle of water as a reminder of our baptism.
9. Emphasise that at baptism God comes inside us to care and make us better.
10. Show the communion items. They remind us that when people take communion, the body and blood of Jesus, then God comes inside us. There is no better medicine for body and soul than when Jesus comes inside us to preserve us to eternal life.
11. All these items allow God to come inside us to care for us and make us better in every way. With God inside, He works in us.
12. Conclude with prayer: Dear God, thank you for all the medicine that you give us, help us to take your medicine so that you may come inside to care for us. Amen.